Saturday, November 26, 2011

PREPARING A MEAL WITH WHAT'S IN THE HOUSE

On Wednesday my fridge broke... again! This time with no warranty left on it. So we decided it just wasn't worth it to save after so many years of problems (and it's only 7 years old!!). I found one, but until it is delivered we try to keep the fridge as cold as possible and have put the freezer stuff into the basement deep freeze.

So, it leaves me with stuff to use up in the fridge and I kind of like this feeling. It really makes me think creatively about what I have to use and to make it happen. Last night I used up a bunch of the cheeses, a zucchini that would not last another day without refrigeration, an opened bottle of pasta sauce and some leftover chicken from a couple of days prior... voila, a casserole was made. I added some spice, baked it for 40 minutes and it was a great meal that we all enjoyed. And it felt like it didn't cost a cent! I mean, it was all about to go bad anyway, right?

It's definitely something to think about when you want to clean out your fridge. How easy was that to make and  it made it so practical that I didn't have to throw as much out, (or order in - an expense we don't need after just running out to buy a new fridge!).

No comments:

Post a Comment