Monday, January 18, 2010

my first blog

I love to decorate. I also love to re-decorate. Ever since I was a little girl I had a passion for decorating. I didn't really know that moving my furniture around and always wanting a new colour on the walls was decorating. I just knew I wanted to do that. When I played with my Barbies, the best part was setting up their houses. I didn't grow up with a lot of money so the Barbies' spaces consisted of make-shift beds from finished tissue boxes, curtains from old fabrics, and chairs from scraps of wood from my father's woodworking shop.

My father was a carpenter and my mother a stay-at-home mom. My mother died when I was just 7 so I had to quickly grow up, learning how to cook and clean at a young age since my father had a hard time with that stuff. What I remember though is that I didn't mind cleaning - I used to re-organize the open shelves when putting things away so that they always looked different - ultimately creating 'still lives' with whatever mismatched dishes, books and gift items we had.

And that's where my love for decorating started. I feel so fortunate that I found something I love and have found a way to make a living out of it.

In my blog I hope to discuss practical decorating and organizing ideas. My childhood taught me how to decorate with found objects and to re-use whatever I could find. That's my true passion. And as it turns out, that also happens to be the new 'green' movement everyone is talking about. Who knew I was 'being green' back in the 60s and 70s.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Susan, just got our computer back after being "salvaged" for 3 weeks, so I'm only now getting to your site. Enjoyed your blog; your house didn't seem that small to me either! Then again, we were smaller! (I still am!) ;-)
    You've inspired me to do what I love as well, which "coincidentally" is also decorating and window dressing. Now that I have my computer back I'm going to work on my "Creative Notions" website! I'll keep you posted... Thanks and good luck with your new blog! xo RĂ©gine

    ReplyDelete